Leadership chat no.13 of #100leadershipchats was with a young piano major who now works in finance compliance.
We talked about:
- how being Asian in California brings a persistent sense of not fitting in, of not belonging
- the pressure of always having to "represent" your race
- how complicated it is to navigate cultural and personal attitudes to conflict and confidence
- how queerness makes that even more complex
- how ALL of that affects if and how you might lead.
We also talked about how he'd experienced more trauma through racism from white gay men than homophobia from the Asian community.
This is why an intersectional approach is so vital, especially in places it isn't normally cultivated like the corporate space...